Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Here we go.

So, it's 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 12th; 44 degrees out and raining.  And I rode my bicycle to work today.  My commute isn't too long of a distance:  I ride from my house, off of 50th and Center down Center, to about 45th and head diagonally along Twin Ridge Blvd to Woolworth to 32nd to Pacific to Park Ave to Leavenworth to 13th and then North all the way to good ol' Mike Fahey St and arrive at Greenstreet Cycles.

I decided this morning when I woke up and heard the rain that I would ride in today.  I hadn't ridden to work in a while and since I'm giving a lecture today at Physician's Mutual about commuting, I felt the need to gather some fresh perspective on commuting (in the rain).  Plus I figured, if I can ride in today, when it's 70 and sunny out, I really have no excuse not to.  So off I went.

It wasn't too eventful aside from nearly getting brushed into the curb by an oblivious driver cruising down Center Street.  I had a yoga mat strapped to my bag (yoga at Greenstreet tonight at 7:30 by the way) and felt the mirror of the car come into contact with my mat.  Woah.  Holding my line, and place in the lane, I pedaled onward. 

The only other bit of excitement was while I was turning off of Leavenworth on to 13th St.   I signaled my turn and proceeded through the light with another car close on my wheel.  There was a car heading towards me turning as well and gave me the right away and then laid on the horn.  I waved and looked at him as he passed me along with another car that was turning behind me.  Then a funny thing happened:  the car that honked looked at me, gave me a thumbs up, and then pointed to the guy in front of him so as to show who he was honking at.  I smiled and continued pedaling.

The rest of 13th St. was pleasant enough.  Hit most of the lights and arrived at work with plenty of time to spare.

Where are you riding today?

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment