Thursday, December 30, 2010

Past and Present

As I rode in this morning, sweating in the balmy December heat, I thought a lot about how much this last year has awed me.  From finalizing my divorce, to opening a new bicycle shop, to meeting all sorts of amazing people, reconnecting with others, and losing others still, it has been a year full of changes.

I've also come to realize that bicycles are something that can not only connect people but also keep people apart.  It's something I'd never thought of until recently. I don't know exactly how to explain it aside from looking at the people close to me that have been a part of my life for a few years now; the ones with staying power.  They all ride.  A lot.  And, I've met most of them through cycling.  I feel almost like we're a different breed.  We look at things differently, have different priorities, and really all in all, lead a different sort of lifestyle.  One that I'm proud of and happy to be living, but also one that can ostracize others and for that I am saddened. Alright, alright, enough already.  I'm sure this may all sound like sappy reminiscent banter that isn't usually found on this site, but I've been rather pensive the last few days and find that by writing at least I can attempt to get it off my chest. So, thanks for listening. Grateful for you all!!  Happy New Year!!!


Midtown Crossing all purdy-like.



Our trusty steeds locked up outside the Side Door.  Yup, it snowed. 
Made for a fun ride home.


I love this photo!!  All sorts of different tracks!


Snow + bike = radical fun.



2 people who hate having themselves photographed...but look
how cute they are! Vinny Haircut and Chuck.


4 comments:

  1. I get what you're saying about cycling and would agree that it can keep people apart. I know I love riding my bicycle but don't feel like I fit into the cycling community. And that's probably more my own feeling than anyone else. BUT I will say, you sure do a lot to break down those silos. So don't be hard on yourself about it....you break through those stereotypes on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all in this together. The evolution of the cyclist effects us all. As I move forward in my life, I see cycling like being on a fence. Friendships mean more if they are on the fence with you...if not you look differently at them (and they, you) depending which side of the fence they are on (those that understand and those that don't). You are doing a great job of making the fence a more interesting place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of that quote from The Hudsucker Proxy. Said of the invention of the hula hoop: "Finally there would be a thingamajig that would bring everyone together, even if it kept them apart spatially."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Sarah!

    I totally embrace all that cycling has done for me, especially over the past year or so. It's been awesome. A real life changer.

    I appreciate you and your shop, and all the great folks who work and shop there.

    Here's to 2011!

    ReplyDelete